I love cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, sweets and basically all lovely treats born out of an oven that I have decided to bake. This way, I can always have more than one serving...

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

I am really in love with the Boston Cream Pie. Firstly, I have never had any until I moved to Boston last year. Secondly, my first slice of it was at Flour in Boston which by the way, bakes the most awesome Boston Cream Pie cake!

So since my attempt at the Boston Cream Pie cake turned out so well a couple of months ago, I have been thinking of attempting it in a cupcake form. And of course, I turned to Martha Stewart for help and there she had it - right at her website, the easy-to-follow recipe with the lovely photo to accompany. I adapted the recipe and tweaked some stuff.




I love everything about it...from the vanilla cream to the chocolate glaze. This is probably my favourite cupcake! I used the "cone" method to fill the cupcake with vanilla cream. And can I just say the "cone" method now makes cupcakes so much more interesting to bake. You can now have 3 different textures and flavas in a cupcake! I love the idea of biting into a cupcake and being surprised by a lovely flava in it!



I had loads of fun baking these (although I was a lil impatient, I couldn't wait to eat them)! Here's what you'll need:
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
(bakes 12 cupcakes)
Vanilla cream:
- 2 eggs yolks
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cupcakes:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
Chocolate Ganache Glaze:
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream

1. Vanilla cream: Whisk the egg yolks until smooth.

2. Heat the sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly.


3. Stir it until the mixture thickens. Once the thickened mixture start to bubble, remove the saucepan from the heat.


4. Pour 1/3 of the thickened mixture into the yolks an whisk until smooth.


5. Return the yolk mixture to the rest of he mixture in the saucepan, place it back over heat. Add in the vanilla extract and stir it for another 4 mins.


6. Then pour the vanilla cream into a bowl and refridgerate for a few hours.


7. Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Then, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

8. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until pale. Takes about 5 mins.


9. Add in the flour mixture and mix well.


10. Place the butter and milk in a saucepan over medium heat and bring it to a boil.



11. Then pour the mixture into the batter and beat well. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.


12. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups.


13. Bake for 15 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for 20 mins.



14. Take out the vanilla cream from the fridge and beat it until it's smooth. Set it aside to let it come to room temperature.


15. Chocolate ganache glaze: Place the chopped chocolate and light corn syrup in a heat-proof bowl. Bring the heavy cream to a boil over medium heat, once it boils, pour it over the chocolate. Let it stand for 3 mins.


16. Then whisk it until it's smooth. Set aside to let it cool.


17. Assembly: Using a paring knife, cut out a cone-shaped top from the top of the cupcakes.


18. Fill the holes with the vanilla cream.


19. Place back the tops of the cupcakes.


20. Finally, pour a tablespoon full of chocolate ganache over the tops of the cupcakes.

Yummy yummy! I hope you share my love for these Boston Cream Pie cupcakes cos I sure am dying over them!

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, these look awesome! Gorgeous cupcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fantastic idea! I can't wait to try these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those look truly fantastic. awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much! hope you guys try them out too, they're super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great process photos!! These cupcakes look fantastic. Thanks for posting the recipe. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, yours look WAY better than mine. I can't wait to make them again.
    http://lifeofmineblogged.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-could-get-used-to-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummmmmmmm!

    <3 meaghan

    http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you ladies for all your kind comments. :o) makes me a happy baker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved looking at all your photos-what a cute cupcake and a perfect post to show exactly how to add the filling! I can't wait to make a batch of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love love love your blog. i think i'm gonna try this cupcakes : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these today and they are awesome! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Followers