I love cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, sweets and basically all lovely treats born out of an oven that I have decided to bake. This way, I can always have more than one serving...

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

What's the best way to spend a rainy afternoon? Bake away I say! After a failed second attempt at macarons on Tuesday, I decided I need some cupcake lovin to cheer myself up. Shall not elaborate on my failed macarons, that will be a long whiny post. Anyway, I was feeling the craving of something with chocolate chips in it so I consulted the brilliant Martha Stewart and baked her Chocolate Chip Cupcakes recipe.


The cupcakes are yummy - obviously. You can't go wrong with Martha Stewart. But I ditched her buttercream frosting for another one that I have which has a strong vanilla flava to it. It topped the cupcake perfectly.



And if you notice my past frosting, you'll see that I don't frost very well. But today, everything changed! That's because I have gotten the best decorating tip for frosting cupcakes! It's the Wilton's 1M Star tip. My frosting turned out beautifully and it was so much fun! I was disappointed that I only had 12 to frost.



I was afraid that these cupcakes might turn out too sweet cos I almost went overboard with loading the cupcakes with chips. But my partner ate the whole cupcake without flinching and usually I'm the sugar monster! Here's what you'll need:

Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
(bakes 12 cupcakes)

Cupcake:
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like your frosting)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners.

2. Combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.


3. Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl until light and fluffy.


4. Beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk (flour - milk - flour - milk - flour). Beat well after each addition.


5. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.


6. Fold in half of the egg whites to lighten the batter. Followed by the remaining egg whites.


7. Fold in the chocolate chips.


8. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin cups.


9. Bake for 22 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for 20 mins before frosting.


10. Vanilla buttercream frosting: Cream the butter until smooth.


11. Beat in half of the powder sugar and salt, mix well for 1 min.


12. Then add the remaining powdered sugar and mix well for another 1 - 2 mins. Then add the vanilla extract and heavy cream and beat for 4 - 5 mins.


13. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large open star tip with the buttercream and frost the cooled cupcakes. If you like, you can sprinkle chocolate chips over the frosting.





And thank you to all of you who commented on my last posting. This blog is rather new so I was delighted to see more people are viewing and sharing what I love most - baking. I hope you continue to share my love for the sugar life. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers