I love cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, sweets and basically all lovely treats born out of an oven that I have decided to bake. This way, I can always have more than one serving...

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Black, White and Pink Cupcakes

I saw this recipe on TV while I was on the treadmill over the weekend. Talk about exercising while drooling over baked goods, now that's what I call my kinda TV while exercising! I tried to remember as much of the recipe as I could and I think I did pretty well since the cupcakes turned out good!

And yes, I made cupcakes again to practice my frosting. This time I used a slightly bigger star tip and I think I did better today. Or maybe it's self-consolation. Even though the frosting isn't the prettiest thing, the color of the frosting makes up for all the prettiness! It's raspberry buttercream frosting in a lovely pretty pink! Love the frosting! Love love love.

Sorry, got so distracted from the pretty pink that I forgot about the cupcakes. They are chocolate and vanilla cupcakes all rolled into one! See, I like chocolate better than vanilla but sometimes, midway through a chocolate cupcake, I crave for a mouth of vanilla cupcake. So when I saw this on TV, I had to bake them!





Here's what you'll need for these pretty cupcakes!
Vanilla Cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
Raspberry Buttercream Frosting:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons seedless raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin trays with paper liners.
2. Vanilla cupcakes: Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.

3. Beat the butter and sugar together.


4. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix well. Then add the vanilla extract and mix well.


5. Add in half of the flour mixture, followed by the milk and the remaining half of the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.


6. Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter into the muffin cups filling half of the cups only.



7. Chocolate cupcakes: Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.


8. Cream the butter and sugar together.


9. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Then add the vanilla extract and mix well.


10. Add half the flour/cocoa mixture, followed by the milk and remaining half of the flour/cocoa mixture and mix well.


11. Then scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the chocolate batter into the muffin cups, filling up the other half of the cup.



12. Bake for 22 - 24 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Leave it on the wire rack to cool completely before you frost.



13. Raspberry buttercream frosting: Cream the butter until smooth.


14. Add in the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and mix well after each addition. Then mix in the vanilla extract.


15. Beat in the raspberry jam.


16. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, filled a pastry bag with the frosting and fit it with a star nozzle tip and frost the cupcakes.



This is the reason why I run on a treadmil. I eat waaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo many cupcakes.

2 comments:

  1. These are really gorgeous; love the raspberry buttercream, and the fact that you used seedless raspberry jam! I love brightly colored frostings but am not a fan of food coloring (not that I don't use it ever, but I like to find alternates). Annnnd, it never occurred to me to make two-tone cupcakes. Perfect idea!

    PS people wonder why I work out...I say, do you have ANY idea how many cookies I eat each day?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA! I'm glad to meet someone like me. Sometimes when I'm working out, I'm thinking of what sweet stuff to eat next...but hey, it's a form of motivation!

    You have to try the raspberry buttercream, it is to die for...so pretty to look at, and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers