I love cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, sweets and basically all lovely treats born out of an oven that I have decided to bake. This way, I can always have more than one serving...

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

What's better than waking up to a warm bun that's rolled up with ground cinnamon, sugar and butter? I can't think of a better way.


Since I discovered that baking with yeast is more fun than scary, I have been looking up all sorts of bread recipes that I can bake and keep for breakfast throughout the weekend. And cinnamon rolls are just the yummiest!


This time round, I definitely baked with yeast better. The dough actually doubled in size when it was left to rise and I did all the essential kneading, punching, waiting and rising! I am getting the hang of it and I still cannot get over how fun playing with dough is! And watching the dough actually double in size is just crazy! It was almost like magic in the kitchen.


Cinnamon Rolls
(bakes 8 rolls)

Rolls:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups flour
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon half and half (light cream)

Cinnamon filling:
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into small cubes)

1. Rolls: Heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan until the butter melts. Let it come to a temperature of 120 - 130 degrees F.


2. In a mixing bowl, combine 2 1/4 cups flour with the active dry yeast.


3. Once the milk mixture is of the right temperature, gradually pour it into the flour mixture and beat well.


4. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.


5. With a rubber spatula or a dough hook, mix in 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 cups of flour until the dough comes together. The turn it out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 5 mins.


6. Butter a bowl and place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides of the dough. Then cover it with plastic wrap and leave it for 1 1/2 hours, until it doubles in size. (This is the magical part I am so crazy about - my dough actually ballooned!)



7. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch it down just a few times. Cover it loosely with a towel and let it rest for 10 mins.



8. Cinnamon filling: While waiting for the dough to be ready, combine the ground cinnamon, light brown sugar and flour, then cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (erm, I had huge issues getting the coarse crumbs so I ended up with a rather smooth mixture and it still worked!)


9. When the dough is ready, roll it out to a 12 inch square.


10. Sprinkle the crumbs onto the square (or in my case, I spread the cinnamon mixture).


11. Roll up the dough into a log and pinch the sides to seal it.


12. Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan and slice the log carefully into 8, then place them in the pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour, until it doubles in size. (Again, magic!)



13. Brush the tops of the rolls with half and half (light cream).


14. Bake in an oven for 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 mins. When it is ready, the tops will be brown and when you tap on the rolls, it will make a hollow sound.



I'm not too happy about my cinnamon filling because the fact that I didn't manage to achieve the right texture, I think it compromised the way my cinnamon rolls look. But safe to say, the taste of it is still very appetizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers