I love cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, sweets and basically all lovely treats born out of an oven that I have decided to bake. This way, I can always have more than one serving...

Friday, March 19, 2010

Parker House Rolls

Warning: this is my first bread baking attempt, so please cut me some slack if the step by step photos don't seem rather well-done. But you know what? If you have never baked bread before, please please please do try. It is so much fun! I actually kinda like it more than baking cakes! I think it is the kneading of dough that got me hooked, reminded me of play-doh, hahahaha!

I have always wanted to bake stuff like cinnamon buns, hot cross buns, chocolate babka (drools drools drools) but have been intimidated by all the science that goes into bread baking. You know, kneading, waiting for the dough to rise to double it size, etc. It's science + patience + accuracy that intimidated me. I was pushed by a close girlfriend of mine who encouraged me that bread baking would be fun and isn't all that scary so here I am, my first bread baking!



These parker bread rolls are just buttery and so simple but yet sooooo yummy! Spread some butter on and off you go to butter heaven. I researched a lot more about the process of baking bread after I baked these because I felt it made more sense to me have had hands-on experience before I read up. Needless to say, I realised I probably made a couple of mistakes. But who cares! I am so gonna bake more, I have plenty to learn and try over and over again!


Parker House Rolls
(bakes 20 rolls)

- 3 tablespoons warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 package / 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1. Stir together the warm water, 1 tbsp sugar and active dry yeast until it dissolves. Let it stand for 5 mins until the mixture is foamy. (Note: Water must be of the right temperature or else the yeast won't foam and the yeast MUST foam to signify that the yeast is alive.)


2. Melt 6 tbsp butter in a pan, then add the milk and heat till it is lukewarm (105 to 115 degrees F). (Note: Yes again, this must be of the right temp, if it is too warm, it will kill the yeast and the dough won't rise later.)


3. Pour the butter mixture into a bowl, then add the yeast, 2 tbsp sugar, bread flour and salt. Stir until combined.


4. Stir in 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and then dump it out onto a floured surface and start kneading for 10 mins. Add up to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour until the dough is smooth, satiny and only slightly sticky. (Note: Only knead for 10 mins, too long or too short will affect the dough's rising.)


5. Butter a bowl and place the dough in it, turning the dough around to butter all sides of it. Then cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 1-2 hours at a warm place, draft free until it doubles in size. (Note: how do you know that it has risen enough? Press 2 fingers into the dough and if the indent stays, the dough has risen enough.)


6. Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan. Divide the dough into 20 pcs and roll them into balls, then arrange them them in 4 rows of 5. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 mins - 1 1/2 hrs until double the size.



7. Flour a chopstick and make a deep crease in the middle of each ball. Cover again and let it rise for 15 - 30 mins. (Note: pinch the dough if the sides are split, this will prevent from air escaping which will affect the rising.)



8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the balls of dough with melted butter and bake for 20 - 25 mins.




Some of the notes I made are what I researched up on after I baked these, so you might see that certain things that I wrote, I didn't manage to do. Don't fault me! I promise to do better next time but hey, I'm sharing important info with you guys! Oh and one last thing, your entire house will smell so buttery...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers