I love cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, sweets and basically all lovely treats born out of an oven that I have decided to bake. This way, I can always have more than one serving...

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Classic Brownies

For the longest time, I wanted a copy of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home To Yours. So a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to Amazon, I managed to purchase a copy that was much much cheaper than usual. The photos in the book are amazing...everything was yummylicious-looking! Some of the recipes were surprisingly easy to understand and follow and some recipes were definitely a lil more complicated. But I am determined to bake my way through at least 70% of the book! And the first successful baked good from this book is the Classic Brownie!

Dorie Greenspan described the brownie to be "fudgy but not gooey, intensely chocolaty, dry on top and melty in the middle". And I am quite sure my brownies turned out exactly like that! It's definitely a very very chocolaty brownie that's fudgy. It's not too sweet as well and I love the walnuts, super yummy!



I was surprised by how easy the recipe is. Brownies aren't that complicated to bake! Here's what you'll need:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with aluminium foil and butter the foil.

2. Place the butter, chopped unsweetened and bittersweet chocolates in a bowl and melt them over a pot of simmering water. Stir it occasionally until the ingredients are all melted.



3. Transfer the chocolate to a mixing bowl then use a whisk to stir in the sugar. The mixture will become grainy but it is fine.



4. Then whisk in the eggs, one at a time.



5. Add in the vanilla extract and whisk it vigorously.


6. Then incorporate the flour and salt.



7. Use a rubber spatula to mix in the chopped walnuts.



8. Spread the batter into the cake pan and smooth the top.


9. Bake for 30-33 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


10. Once the brownie is cooled completely, turn it out onto a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.


Brownies with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream...Thursday just got better!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!! I'm kinda addicted to your blog haha. I do wonder why you don't have that many followers.

    I made the Apple Streusel cake yesterday and it was really good! I double the recipe and added chocolate chips to the streusel ^_^. The structure of the cake is soo nice and yummy!! These brownies are looking delicious as well! I made brownies yesterday and my standard recipe is from the website, Jof of Baking.

    Keep posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoy reading this blog. And I hope you try out more recipes too. :o)

    Adding chocolate chips is a good idea, I'll try that out the next time I bake it again. Keep coming back and let me know what else you've baked!

    ReplyDelete

Followers